Visa’s CPS Retail interchange category determines the interchange fees for card-present transactions using a non-rewards consumer credit card.
Interchange rate & fee: 1.51% + $0.10
Also known as:
Retail, CPS Retail
CPS Retail is the Visa interchange category that is used to calculate the interchange fee for card-present transactions when a traditional consumer credit card (instead of rewards, business or government cards) is used and the customer’s signature is obtained.
The CPS Retail interchange category will apply under the following conditions:
- The card is present at the time of the transaction
- The business obtains the cardholder’s signature
- The card is swiped (magnetic strip cards) or dipped (EMV chip cards)
- The transaction is settled within 48 hours
- The business is not classed with an ineligible merchant category code (MCC)
Ineligible Merchant Category Codes:
The CPS Retail interchange category does not apply to the following merchant category codes (MCCs):
- 5411 (Grocery stores/supermarkets)
- 5541 (Service stations)
- 5812 (Eating places/restaurants)
- 5814 (Fast food restaurants)
- 5962 (Direct marketing – Travel)
- 5966 (Direct marketing – Outbound)
- 5967 (Direct marketing – Inbound)
Typical bundled qualification:
Although qualifications for transactions vary, many processors class the CPS Retail interchange category as “qualified” for transactions processed by card-present and card-not present businesses.